Monday, January 28, 2013

Make your own movie! -Dvolver



Bored with the ugly pictures in textbook? Looking for something funny to attract student's attention! Here it is, Dvolver! Create your own animation in a minute and share it with people!
Dvolver is a colorful website that you can make your own animation with it. You can select scene, character, music, and write lines for characters. If you choose two characters, each of them can have three lines and each line with under 100 characters. Though the film cannot include much information, it can be used as an opening at the beginning of your class or a fancy lesson that teaches your students small talks and basic conversation. Besides, it is very easy to use. So, who not let students make their own film? It will be much more fun to them!

If you are interested in making your own film, please click the video below.





How I Will integrate Dvolver with English Class?

Dvolver is colorful and has several funny characters to choose from, so it's a great web tool for English classes of young learners. I may use the dialogue to teach a phrase or word, and make it  as funny as I can. Because the  dialogue is short, the film can be a warmup and gather students' attention quickly.

I may also make students into small groups, give them a topic, and ask them to come up with a conversation related to the topic. By doing so, students will have the opportunities to practice their communicative skills through the collaborative task. I believe children have amazing creativity that can always surprise us and I don't want to waste their talent so I will ask them to make their own animation after showing them how to use it. I  believe compared to traditional paper-work assignment, Dvolver is more enjoyable, and children will be more self-motivated as well. 

One of the limitations of Dvolver is the dialogue can't be spoken; however, students can dub for the film, making the disadvantage into an advantage. I feel students will be more exciting when they see the film dubbed by students then.

Dvolver is Good, But...

In general, Dvolver doesn't have much flexibility because it has a limited number of choices with regard to scenes, background, and music. There aren't many characters available currently so students may not find one they like. Each character in each scene have only three lines, and they can not be spoken.

About thirty-three characters





About thirty-three characters
The line can't be spoken.




Do you have more ideas about Vocaroo? You are welcomed to leave your message and let's have a chat!

4 comments:

  1. You need to do about 8 posts in total. I am not sure how many you have done but keep this in mind. Did you use myBrainshark? I can't see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Russell!
      Thank you for reminding that!
      I did use myBRainshark, and put my presentation in the post. :)

      Delete
  2. haha.... East, I really like your style and humor! The cartoon is so fun! I also think that No Sound is a real deal breaker! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm thinking if we can dub the cartoon ourselves, it must be more fun!!

      Delete