Monday, January 28, 2013

Repeat, repeat, repeat! -Vocaroo


Audio recording software >>

When I was preparing IELTS, I used to talk to myself  to practice speaking, repeating  over and over again without knowing whether my pronunciation is correct or clear enough! I tried using an mp3 player, but it is not very convenient because I had to "squeeze" the small button on the player and select the recording from the numerous ones. And to send that file, I had to upload it from the MP3 to a computer. But, Vocaroo can save you all the troubles now!

Vocaroo is a simple but very useful tool. It is an on-line voice recorder and it is very easy to use. To start to make your record, just click Click to Record.



















You may see a small window asking for activate your microphone of your computer. Please click "allow".

















Then, when you see Click to Stop, it is recoding now!



After you click to stop, you will see two buttons. Retry means make another recording and delete the previous one. Click Listen to listen to the recording you just made.




How Vocaroo Helps We Learn English?

Ok, now, what can this tool help an language teacher do? One of the features of Vocaroo I like the most is that by moving my mouse a few inches from one button to another, I can make another new recording and listen to it over and over again, and all of these takes you only a few seconds. But the most valuable feature of Vocaroo is that it makes speaking assignments possible now for teachers!!! (though it may not be good news for students XD) This does help students to practice speaking because Vocaroo is so easy to use and it records the sound honestly. Students can hear their pronunciation or intonation very clearly so as to know what should be improved. Vocaroo is really a convenient and effective way for students to practice speaking by themselves at home.

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.


What I will do with Vocaroo

Well, because Vocaroo can produce honest recording, I believe it is perfect for practice a short speech and check pronunciation as well as intonation. If you teach IELTS, TOFEL or other language efficiency tests, you can send your recording to the students as an example answer to the questions of the speaking test. What is more important,  ask your students to send you their recordings of some topics you hope them to practice.  You can also make your own listening material and use it anytime and anywhere by clicking on MP3 or other formats to download it to your own device. 


I believe Vocaroo is very useful because in the past it is difficult for teachers to give speaking assignment, and not to mention check "speaking homework"- there are no such things!  But if you are like me working as a private tutor or teaching a small class, Vocaroo can help you make students practice speaking at home. You can ask them to email you their Vocaroo recording every day and give them a Vocaroo feedback too! 

Vocaroo is Good, But...

  • To use Vocaroo, you need to connect it to the Internet. If it can be used off-line, I believe it would be more convenient for its users. 
  • I found myself having been practicing a sentence a hundred million times because I was just not satisfied with it. So be careful, watch your time  XD 

Do you have more ideas about Vocaroo? You are welcomed to leave your message and let's have a chat!

3 comments:

  1. I share a similar experience when preparing for the IELTS exam. This is a good point which i didn't think of. I think the recording somehow "exaggerate" all the minor hesitations, repetitions, mistakes and everything. By listening to my own recording, I could easily detect what aspects I should pay more attention to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the limitations:
    !. I think there are some recording software that you can use off-line, but it may take up some space of your PC.
    2. I also recorded many times. And finally, I came to my conclusion that I can never be perfect, so just take it easy. And if you write down some key words you want to say, they will remind you so that you can be more fluent.

    Good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting comments. I always feel that when we are working with audio tools that the focus should be on fluency and not accuracy. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete